Texas CDL Handbook 2023
Have you decided to start preparing for the Texas CDL exam? Preparation for the exam is important; begin studying now by reviewing the official TX CDL Manual. This manual is designed to educate you on the various requirements to obtain your CDL, safe vehicle operation, and the various CDL classes and endorsements.
Using the Handbook
The Texas CDL Manual gives you all the information necessary to begin preparing for the TX CDL Exam but how well do you think you’ve mastered the material? Find out with our free Texas CDL Practice Tests. Our practice tests cover all areas of the CDL no matter what class or endorsement you need. Take a few practice tests now and see if you are ready for the real thing.
To prepare effectively for the Texas CDL exam:
- Read the official Texas CDL Manual thoroughly.
- Take note of any items that are unfamiliar or confusing and return to them later for further study.
- Take advantage of practice tests and quizzes online.
- Review the manual regularly up until the test day.
- Prepare physically and mentally for the test. Try to relax and get a good night sleep before the test day.
Understand that obtaining a CDL is a responsibility and not just a right. You’re responsible for the safety of other road users, and so you should take the preparation very seriously. Good luck with your studying and safe driving in your future career!
Information Covered in the TX Manual
The Texas CDL manual includes important information on each class of CDL and the related endorsements. There are 14 sections of the manual that provide information on how to transport cargo and passengers safely to the correct methods for transporting hazardous materials. It is important to study each section so you are prepared for the day of your exam.
The sections include:
- Driving Safely: This section covers basic safety rules and regulations, inspecting your vehicle, cargo safety and security, and preventing accidents while driving on the road.
- Transporting Cargo Safely: This discusses how to properly load and secure cargo, balance weight for maximum efficiency and safety, and various regulations regarding hazardous materials.
- Transporting Passengers Safely: For those aiming for a passenger endorsement on their CDL, this section discusses the specific rules and regulations for carrying passengers.
- Air Brakes: If you plan to drive a truck or bus with air brakes, you need to understand the functionality and usage of air brake system. This section provides you the required information.
- Combination Vehicles: This covers how to drive combination vehicles safely, combination vehicle air brake information, and coupling and uncoupling.
- Doubles and Triples: An endorsement is required to pull double or triple trailers. This section covers the updated rules and regulations and provides you required knowledge to handle these vehicles.
- Tank Vehicles: It gives you information regarding transporting liquids in bulk and the dangers associated with it.
- Hazardous Materials: For those looking to get a hazardous materials (Hazmat) endorsement, this section reviews safe handling and transporting hazardous material.
- School Buses: For school bus drivers, this section provides information about safe loading/unloading procedures, emergency evacuation procedures, and more.
Think You're Ready for the Texas CDL Test?
Find Out Before You Take the Exam.